1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The War Graves of Chevening

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks History' started by Sevenoaks Memorial, May 7, 2021. Replies: 0 | Views: 41

1. Sevenoaks Memorial

Sevenoaks Memorial New Member

I’ve been meaning to visit nearby Chevening for a while. The village is perhaps best known for Chevening House, once home to the Earls Stanhope, now a grace and favour residence for the Foreign Secretary, although it was considered as a country residence for Prince Charles, when originally bequeathed to the nation. I was aware of at least one Great War burial there, that of William Burfoot, who I knew was an Old Boy of Sevenoaks School but there are several of interest.

[​IMG]
    The churchyard at St Botolph, Chevening

There are six Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard, four from the Great War and two from the Second. Some of these are the last resting place of local men but, as Chevening was close to the Chipstead Military Hospital, two of the men were from the north west of England.

[​IMG]
    The grave of Arthur Waite, a native of Lancashire

Sapper Arthur Waite of St Helen’s, Lancs, was buried here in January 1915. Aged 49, two of Waite’s sons were killed after his death. Corporal Richard Waite in 1915 and John Waite in October 1917.

Edward Wright Padgham of the Royal Field Artillery died at Chipstead VAD Hospital in 1916 aged 45. The local paper reported his death and…

Continue reading...