1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben’s Ironman Challenge

Discussion in 'Sevenoaks Chat' started by West Kent Mind, Jul 13, 2017. Replies: 0 | Views: 119

1. West Kent Mind

West Kent Mind New Member

Ben Alexander completed his Ironman Challenge in an incredible 12 hours and 2 minutes. What a phenomenal achievement! On his return home Ben said the challenge included ‘some of the worst and best moments of his life’. Ben chose to fundraise for us and raised an amazing £3,300. You can still support Ben on his JustGiving page.

Ben’s training and journey to Austria on 2 July to compete in the Klagenfurt Ironman competition was prompted by his response to the death of a rugby coach at the hands of depression and although Ben didn’t know him too well, he was friends with a whole community and his loss was both sudden and tragic. Ben said:

“It didn’t seem inconceivable that this could one day be me or one of my friends and I felt I needed to do something proportionate to the challenge at hand. All in an effort to raise awareness for what is a largely misunderstood condition by the vast majority of people in this country and around the world. From January I will be training pretty much twice a day, every day for 6 months (I’ve already done 6 months) so I can swim 2.4miles (3.8km), cycle 112 miles(180km) and then run a marathon (26.2miles or 42.2km). In that order and without a break, on the foothills of the Alps in Austria.”

Ben’s result is an astounding achievement and heart warming endorsement of his commitment and drive to compete for a cause in a global event renowned for being one of the toughest in the world.

Well done, and thanks from all of us here at West Kent Mind.

[​IMG]

The post Ben’s Ironman Challenge appeared first on West Kent Mind.

Continue reading...